Saturday, December 10, 2011

The BEST Christmas Yet!


Yesterday after lunch, Cara and I sorted through Christmas gifts for the kindergartners.  Holy moly.  She has done this every year since it began, this was my first time.  And I have sorted through Christmas gifts before for those who won’t have a “Christmas”.  For some reason, the Holy Spirit was stirring in me, and switched my heart to full-on tenderness.  There were tubs after tubs filled with gifts from dolls, motorized cars, markers, clothes, shoes, soap, shampoo, tooth brushes, gaudy jewelry, and play-dough.  It was mountainous.

Cara read a note that one of the sponsors had written, and I just teared up.  The thoughtfulness in the note and in the gift was overwhelming.  So much love in a few sentences and navy blue shorts.  Then I started thinking, I am jealous that this gets to be a part of Cara’s Christmas every year.  Then I thought, I get to see the happiness on their faces when they open up their gifts, why do I get to see that joyful moment?  I pictured Emanuella and her excited from her doll with a bunch of curly hair.  Wilensky pumped up for his soccer ball.  I saw all the girls putting on their bracelets, laughing, showing off to each other, and rambling on at a quick rate in a language I don't know.  I am really going to be crying on Friday, better have the tissues at hand.

All in all, the best Christmas yet, I have never really enjoyed Christmas, the commercialized side of it.  I look forward to Christmas Eve Candlelight Service.  There is too much pressure in finding the perfect present that will only be exciting for 15 minutes, then forgotten.  It is why Thanksgiving is my favorite, it’s just the family eating and enjoying each other’s company without the fuss of opening presents at the end of the day.  Yesterday afternoon brought excitement to seeing a bunch of 5 year olds open up dolls, balls, and markers.  Truly, BEST Christmas yet!

Love and miss you!  I wish I could send you a funny text message.

Yesterday, God was glorified, definitely. 

1 comment:

  1. It is so true that it is more blessed to give than to receive! May your Christmas joy be the wonder of God is really with us:) Praying for a wonderful time with the children!

    ReplyDelete