Sunday, March 4, 2012

Isaiah 60:5a

Bonswa tout moun!!  It is with enthusiasm I write this blog.  The past few weeks have gone smoothly, and I have had an overwhelming peace with life here, and every day I fall more in love with the culture, land, and especially the people!  I am starting to find my place, get into a routine, and my personality is coming out, so thankful!  

Isaiah 60:5a says: "Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy."  I constantly have moments where joy overtakes me, and I call them "Isaiah 60:5a moments".  I have them all the time here in Haiti. I am thankful God sent me here.  I canNOT imagine my life any other way right now.

I have recently started regularly visiting House of Hope.  This week I met, Reginald.  God is so good people, I have always had a soft spot for deaf people, I want to make them feel loved and to communicate with them.  Thus, I know enough sign language to carry on a basic conversation.  You know when you are surrounded by people you cannot communicate with, but there is one person you can, you hold onto that person.  This is what happened with Reginald.  We walked around, signed, and got to know each other.  He followed us out as we left to wave good-bye.  Friday, I was visiting a sick student and was near the hospital.  He was outside saw me across the street, we waved, came over and we talked while I waited for my ride.  My heart was full!!  Then yesterday I went to the hospital again, and he showed me a book he is studying on David.  He showed me the verse he is trying to memorize from Deuteronomy.  I am going back Wednesday and we are going to play cards.  I downloaded two different ASL books to brush up on my sign language.  Below is Reginald.


Now I want to tell you about my Juniors.  Holy moly, it is hard to find the words to express how much I love them.  They are good kids, that I love being around.  Kindergarten is fun, I get all of my wanting to be a mother out with them.  Then it is time for Writing, and the beginning of an hour and half with my jolly Juniors.  Fiona had malaria last week and ended up missing the whole week of school. we all went to her house after school on Friday to see how she was (she is doing well and will be back at school tomorrow).  We rode a tap-tap together, trip there - hilarious.  Our driver was rambunctious, driving down an unpaved dirt road with numerous "pot holes", 14 people in his truck bed, and driving 40 mph.  Our butts lifted off the bed by 2 feet at least three times.  I wish you could have heard the laughter coming from Cashna, "Me-Zanmi!!!"  "Oooo....HAHAHA".  And heard Laud Ancy's belly laugh, loved it.  It was scary, exhilarating, and definitely an adventure never to be forgotten.  We spent time with Fiona, then headed back.  The tap-tap ride back was much fuller, I had a seat in the back looking ahead and I had the perfect view of each of my students.  I watched them interact, laughing with each other, I kept thinking, "Thank you God for bringing them into my life, I adore them."  Then Ayvory (whom is now known as Grandpa Vo-Vo) started singing, and I was saddened I didn't have my camera.  His facial expressions with his eyes bugged-out, arms flailing in the air, while rapping in a steady rhythm.  Oh I love that boy.  Below are my juniors, my heart melts.


And some good news!  God has lead me to return next school year!  I'll be able to see these beautiful faces graduate!

Please be in prayer for my ability to learn creole, I am doing somewhat better, but communication can still be a frustrating barrier.  Also, be in prayer for quick recall with my sign language.  That God will continually remind me of John 3, that I will forget myself and He will increase and I will decrease.  Thank you for everyone for your support.  E-mail me any prayers you may have, I will gladly petition.

To God be the Glory.  Forever, and ever.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Tara, I read this and I am covered in chills! So happy to see you chasing after God and finding His wonderful fulfillment! I love you!!!!! I pray that my girls will grow up to be like you!

    ReplyDelete