Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Developing a Thick Skin.


This year in orientation we were blessed by Thom and Cara Whimpelberg leading us in two courses: Haitian History, and Haitian Culture.  Cara is one of Roger and Norma Alexander’s daughters, and moved here in 1983 when her parent’s originally moved her.  She is one of the first few Sonlight graduates, and has been teaching here for almost 20 years.  Somewhere in those years, she met her husband Thom, who visited several times with groups.  They are a power couple full of knowledge, encouragement, love, work ethic, and a passion for God’s people.  While they taught us, we staff had our eyes opened anew, even for some of us who have been here for 5 + years.

I can never learn enough Haitian History, and wish my schedule allotted me to time to attend Thom’s class, but it was Haitian Culture that continues to reel around in my head.  One phrase in particular, Cara said on numerous occasions, “Well, because Haiti forces you to develop a thick skin.”  Cara compared her life to growing up in Haiti and how it made her have a thick skin.  And I am starting to see it in myself too. 

It is Haitian culture to be called out for something that normally you would not do in the States.  Someone may yell across the street that you cannot wear what you have on to church because you are showing too much skin.  Someone may rub your hips and bottom after summer vacation stating, “Ou gwo!”  This meaning, “You are bigger than the last time I saw you.”  When you are thinking in your head, “I thought I did good, only 3 pounds!”  But they say all of these with good meaning.  Meaning they respect you enough for you to be sure to cover yourself, meaning you had a good vacation able to eat and relax.  All good things.

But this does make you develop a thick skin.  The more you are called out for an insecurity you may have, the more likely you will be able to accept it, brush it off, think, “God made me this way”, focus on what’s important, and to move on.  It reminds me of Paul in 1 Corinthians 4:3-4 when he says, “ I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed I do not even judge myself.  My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent.  It is the LORD who judges me.”

All in all, God’s opinion is the only one that matters.  Forget about everyone else’s.  Brush it off, and move on.  Develop a thick skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment