Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Home is where Haiti is.


First of all, I must say, it was so good to see all of my family and friends over the summer.  I love how God has blessed me with people in different cities, states, and countries.  I am spoiled.
While leaving America was difficult, walking the streets of Port-de-Paix has filled the voids.   It has been great reconnecting with families, walking and seeing old friends, and attending church hugging everyone as hard as possible.

First visit first, I had to run to go see the twins, Eliona and Elionise.  I was extremely happy that everything was the same.  They told me funny stories from summer vacation, work they had done to prepare for Kindergarten, and they placed a masked toy on my head saying I was the “Mardi-Gras”.  Then they would put it on each other’s heads.  It was wonderful to hear their laughs, singing, and silly stories.

Next visit, to the Dubois home.  It was great to see that they all looked great, had a great summer, and a great visit to Port-au-Prince to visit family.  I will have both sons in school this year.    Freud, the eldest son, will be a senior this year, I am proud yet sad.  He is very sweet, one you love to be around.

My favorite student Chnida (she graduated last year) keeps showing up to help in the classroom.  I love that she is not embarrassed to be at Sonlight after graduation, love that she wants to help, love her presence, love talking with her, and love making her cry when she laughs.  We are having fun, getting sweaty, and getting work done!

This year our staff has grown, a new single girl and a family.  We have been in orientation all week, and we have bonded over “Fun with Thom”, and learning Haitian History, and different points of Haitian Culture.  It has been unbelievably humbling to hear different aspects that are important in Haitian culture standards, and I have done the opposite.  Merci Senye pou gras-ou! 

Yesterday we completed a prayer walk, stopping in each teacher’s room, and anointing the teacher, the students, and the classroom for the education and ministry that will happen this school year.  It was touching to hear our staff (and some new friends) join together in prayer for the furthering of God’s Kingdom.  Your Kingdom come!

All in all, thankful to be back, and thankful to be back to work, thank you for all of your support in all the different forms of it.  Still can’t believe God chose me.  Please pray, tomorrow I will go visit a student’s home, which lost his father at the beginning of the summer.  Pray God will guide me in words of comfort and love to say, and the discernment if I just need to sit and be with them.  Pray for them as they continue to grieve, as well.
Much love in Him.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures.  I was too fixated on seeing people to snap shots.  Photos to come.

1 comment:

  1. Tara-
    Thanks for writing even in your busyness. Loved hearing about the twins, sweet Chnida and Fred. Miss them all. Praying for the new school year!

    ReplyDelete